Beautiful Card Designs Made Easy

May 28, 2013

Whitby in Oils...

Click to Enlarge
Hi Everybody,

Many years ago ... way back in 1994 I used to go to an art class and this is one of the pictures I did of a yacht entering a harbor in stormy seas to get to safety.

It was long before I had ever been to Whitby.

It was done in oils and was one of the first things I ever did. It took hours of layering on the oils in different shades of blue and green and letting each layer dry.

Now it hangs on my wall and is one I am rather proud of.  Griff loves this painting and shows it to all our visitors.

The photo does not do it justice as the sea looks as if it is translucent.

This is a photograph I took over the weekend on a boat trip out into the harbor at Whitby....

Can you see the resemblance?

 I took the photo deliberately from that angle as we entered back between the piers and although the Abbey in the picture is slightly different the similarities are there.

It is poetic license  ... but I like it just the same.

More tomorrow ...

Hugs xx





15 comments:

  1. Very beautiful Christina. I too have painted in oils before I started cardmaking. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is exquisite & now we all know why you are so talented and good at colouring your images! Glad you had a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. My part of the world. Lovely isn't it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great job you did on the painting. And thank you for posting the photograph, too! I love seeing pieces of home. Do you not paint anymore?
    I know you have creative outlet in your paper crafting but still - you are so good at painting!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, who's a VERY clever bunny then? What a lovely painting, you are obviously very talented. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful painting! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful painting indeed! I love pictures of light houses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting Christina, love the sea, it is really effective. Beautiful composition. Wish I could paint like that, love arts and crafts can do most things but lack imagination. Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You clever, talented lady! That is a beautiful painting, so atmospheric. You must pick up the paintbrush again :)
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow,the painting is just beautiful Christina,you are blessed to have such a talent!
    AnnB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Christina!! Beautiful painting, is there anything you can't do? You could make a living a painting itself, it is gorgeous! Thanks for the history on Whitby in your other post, it was very interesting and you must be in great shape or half dead walking the stone steps,I would have to crawl lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a true artist, a very talented one at that! Lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the picture Christina.. me I can just about draw breath! but I can put cards together...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful, and kind of spooky, seeing that you had never been there before. I paint once in awhile, will have to put one of mine on the gallery page. lol

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message to say you have been ...